As I understand it, Open Web App manifests used by Gecko currently have to
be served from the same origin as the app.

There is a discussion at the W3C about whether the standardised version of
web app manifests should have this same restriction. I would encourage you
to contribute to that discussion if you have strong feelings either way
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2014AprJun/0635.html