Keith,

In this case we're filling the buffer before we can amortize the search
cost. We're using a document-partitioned table design and we have to do a
local sort before we can get the first result.

I have found that increasing the buffer size also increases the latency for
getting the first results. This application is both latency and throughput
sensitive. In addition, increasing the batch size too much puts significant
memory requirements on the process running the batch scanner.

Adam