<opinion owner="bill_h" validity="dubious">
Voting is not a substitute for deliberation, working as a group to generate
agreement on decisions. First, those involved get together and hash out the
details, and then at some point there is a vote on the outcome of those
deliberations. (Unless you're Congress. ZING) Deliberation can take a long
time ... a really long time. And it's not usually fun. At some point you
just must call it.

I don't like consensus approval for bylaw changes because someone could
torpedo the vote and ruin the extensive work that went into getting there.
It can actually discourage being involved in the deliberative process,
because you could always just jump in at the vote time and veto, either for
a well thought-out reason or just because. That's not fair to everyone who
spent lots of time deliberating, compromising, exploring. (Harshness
warning.) If you really had an issue, you should have brought it up before
the vote was called so the community could spend proper time on it. Voting
time isn't the appropriate time to discover fundamental issues with what
you're voting on.

Also, in life, you don't always get what you want, and you don't always get
it perfect the first time. Majority approval lets a group get something
good enough, even with some problems and disagreement, started, or
progressing. You can then begin a new round of deliberations, and vote on
modifications to make it even better.

Even if that modification is changing to consensus approval for bylaw
changes.
</opinion>

If the XML tag wasn't signal enough, this is really my opinion. Part of
this is working out, as a community, how we make decisions, so you should
certainly form your own opinion and apply it to the current vote and future
ones.

--
// Bill Havanki
// 443.686.9283