On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org> wrote:
> I elaborated above, but in short, all previous tags have indicated
> releases. This is standard to publish tags in SCM to denote a release.
> it's confusing to have a tag that does not denote a release. Further,
> having a version that is greater than the greatest approved release
> may mislead people who build from source to use the "latest", thinking
> it was approved and it wasn't.

I agree that 1.4.6-eol is not a good name since it implies a 1.4.6
release that never happened.

I don't agree with the fact that tags are only used in SCM to denote a
release. I think that's the most common usage, but I've always viewed
a tag as any significant point on a branch that signifies not to
expect further changes. The places where those exist in most projects
is for releases and branches that have been EOLed.

-Joey