On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Corey Nolet <cjno...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Josh,
>
> > My worry with a contrib module is that, historically, code which goes
> moves to a contrib is just one step away from the grave.
>
> You do have a good point. My hope was that this could be the beginning of
> our changing history so that we could begin to encourage the community to
> contribute their own source directly and give them an outlet for doing so.
> I understand that's also the intent of hosting open source repos under ASF
> to begin with- so I'm partial to either outcome.
>
> > I think there's precedence for keeping them in core (as Christopher had
> mentioned, next to examples/simple) which would benefit people externally
> (more "how do I do X" examples) and internally (keep devs honest about how
> our APIs are implemented).
>
> I would think that would just require keeping the repos up to date as
> versions change so they wouldn't get out of date and possibly releasing
> them w/ our other releases.
>

> Wherever they end up living, thank you Adam for the contributions!

I'll 2nd that.

For the following reasons, I think it might be nice to move existing
examples out of core into their own git repo(s).

 * Examples would be based on released version of Accumulo
 * Examples could easily be built w/o building all of Accumulo
 * As Sean said, this would keep us honest
 * The examples poms would serve as examples more than they do when part of
Accumulo build
 * Less likely to use non public APIs in examples