Bumping thrift versions scares me... a lot... because of how terrible
thrift has been about avoiding breakage and/or retaining
functionality. It seems every time we bump to fix something we want
fixed, we find many more things broken.

I'd be much more interested in moving to something a bit more reliable
than Thrift... maybe Java serialization (heavy use of Externalizable)
or protocol buffers with Netty. But, maybe that's something more for
2.0 (or later, since it seems like it'd be a huge effort). Even just
moving off thrift for the network and leaving it in place for the
serialization, might be a big improvement in stability.

I'd be far less concerned about bumping thrift if it only affected the proxy.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii