As members of the PMC, we're required to verify all releases we approve of
meet ASF licensing policy[1], so I don't consider the issues "minor".

Mistakenly violating policy in the past is a different kind of problem than
moving forward to knowingly violate it.

In particular, not all of the bundled works have copyrights that are
covered under a donation to the Foundation. If we distribute e.g. the
accumulo-core binary jar in its current state the foundation will be
committing willful copyright infringement. The binary tarball (and I'd
imagine the rpm/deb files) have similar problems because we'd be violating
the terms of the included works' respective licenses.

[1]: http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-contain

--
Sean