Github user ShawnWalker commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pull/121

    > I took a quick look and it seemed a tserver did not know why it was
unloading. It seems like the tserver would need to know why it was unloading so
it could only suspend when being stopped (would not want to set suspend for
migration). Alternatively the unload thrift message could possibly be changed
to include an option to suspension.

    Indeed, I found this out when I went to implement my idea.  So in my most
recent push, I modified the the thrift method
`TabletClientService.unloadTablet(...)`.  Whereas it used to take a `boolean
save` parameter, I instead have it take an enumerated value describing the
desired end state of the tablet:
    * UNASSIGNED: Upon unloading, leave the tablet in the UNASSIGNED state.
    * SUSPENDED: Upon unloading, leave the tablet in the SUSPENDED state.
    * DELETED: Upon unloading, leave the tablet in the UNASSIGNED state.  This
tablet is being unloaded so it can be deleted soon; as such, don't bother minor
compacting before unloading.  This is the behavior that setting `save==false`
would accomplish previously.
    * UNKNOWN: Well, ugh.  The enumerated value needed to correspond with
values from `master.Master.TabletGoalState`, and I had no idea how to cleanly
map `TabletGoalState.HOSTED`.

---
with INFRA.
---