Agreed - this thread should be left to votes only. Let it pass or fail.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Josh Elser" <josh.el...@gmail.com>
To: dev@accumulo.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:15:01 AM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Plan for next release

If we really need to keep arguing about this, then this vote is premature.

On Aug 23, 2016 00:18, "Christopher" <ctubb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Just want to respond to a few points so far:
>
> 1. With my revert of the previously destabilizing changes I introduced in
> master, the master branch and 1.8 branches are *nearly* identical in
> functionality, backwards-compatibility and suitability for release, with
> only a few substantive differences. The master branch is as much ready for
> a release as the 1.8 branch, and the only reason to do 1.8 instead is if
> these new features are in high-demand for a Java7-only environment. I do
> not think that demand has been demonstrated to exist... only
> hypothesized. However, there *has* been a demand for using Java 8
features:
> some maven plugins are no longer being patched with support for Java 7 and
> we can't update to get bug fixes, some libraries contributors have wanted
> to use for their patches require Java 8 and we need a release which they
> can contribute such changes to, libraries like Jetty getting security
> updates and requiring Java 8, etc.

To clarify, I can think of only one case where a contributor wanted to use
jdk 8. The rest sound like things that you wanted to do (maven plugins and
jetty)

> 2. Nobody has been giving "I wanna us new shiny APIs!" as a reason. That
is
> a straw man. There are rational reasons for requiring Java 8, which are
> more substantive than thinking it "shiny". Remember that we actually
> branched 1.8 so we could bump master and provide users with an area to
> contribute code which requires Java 8. We're not exactly encouraging
> contributions if it doesn't look like that branch is ever moving towards a
> release.

Similarly, claiming that 2.0 is not moving towards a release is a fallacy.
There is nothing blocking a release of 2.0 whenever someone steps up as I
suggested in the discussion tread.

> 3. The master branch has the same API as the 1.8 branch. Client code
> developed for the current 1.8 branch, even if it's compiled on Java 7,
> should still work against the master branch. There's nothing in the APIs
> that force client code written against older releases, or 1.8 development
> snapshots, to be rebuilt with Java 8.

Ok? I don't think this was stated as a concern.

> 4. Regarding kicking the can down the road. After releasing master as 2.0,
> I expect we'd proceed with our usual release cadence, bugfixes on 1.7 and
> 2.0, while working on new features for 2.1. I would, however, propose a
> change in our dev workflow... no more routine merging to master... leave
> that equal to the latest tag... "future" versions like 2.1, 3.0, etc.
> should be worked in a properly labeled dev branch. However, we can deal
> with that suggestion later. Regardless of the workflow change, I'd expect
> bugfixes for 1.7 and 2.0, while working on 2.1.

> 5. I agree we need to make sure users have a good upgrade path to safely
> move off of previous releases. Both 1.8 and 2.0 branches currently support
> upgrades from 1.6. Regardless of what we do for this release, users will
> have a safe path. What additional plans must be made, and how is that
> related to this? Sorry, I didn't follow your reasoning there.

We have no upgrade instructions and do not have formalized upgrade testing.
There is no organization that would feel comfortable doing production
upgrades of this software given this unless they employ as mass of
committers of Accumulo.

It is related because moving people off of old releases requires
instructions to do such a move and the expectation through engineering
rigor that everything will go smoothly.

> 6. The testing burden everybody's talking about assumes we'd release 2.0
> shortly after a 1.8. If we're willing to EOL 1.7 that soon, then much of
> this burden is relieved. But, I think a rapid EOL of 1.7 would be a
greater
> harm than skipping 1.8 would cause harm to hypothetical users who want the
> 1.8 feature set on Java 7.

This seems to be purely based on feelings. My point was that we have been
discussing 1.8 publicly for months if not years. It is not unreasonable to
assume users have been expecting a 1.8 to actually be released in its
current state.

dhutc...@cs.washington.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > -1, primarily with the spirit of "Release Early, Release Often
> > <https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#releases>". Let's
> > get
> > our changes out there, rather than wait another month to add in Java
8. My
> > vote is not religious, however, and it could change if someone argues
for
> > some incredible difference Java 8 could make in a release *right now*.
> >
> > I don't see enough immediate benefit in releasing a Java 8 branch. Not
> > much Java 8 dependent has changed since introducing Java 8 into
master. We
> > can do Java 8 development with master.
> >
> > I agree with Josh that the maintenance burden does not seem very
different
> > with the proposed plan. Then again I have not been actively developing
new
> > features recently; perhaps someone who is working on a grand change for
2.0
> > could comment on how accelerated-release 2.0 would be helpful for
> > development on 3.0.
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > Again, sorry for the spam from me. I should've just turned off my
phone
> > > instead of trying to catch up while doing other things.
> > >
> > > It still seems to me that the predominant concern proposed here is an
> > > increased burden on maintenance. However, avoiding 1.8 and calling it
2.0
> > > instead feels like kicking the can down the road to me. Let's me
describe
> > > the scenario I see:
> > >
> > > Assume we drop 1.8 and do the reverts to make the current master
branch
> > > 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT sans everything but the JDK8 change (as per
Christopher's
> > > original VOTE msg). We will release from master (or some 2.0 branch)
and

josh.el...@gmail.com>
>]
> > d...@accumulo.apache.or