All,

Over the past several years, MIT Lincoln Laboratory has been exploring how to
protect data stored in Accumulo from malicious and honest-but-curious system
administrators. Currently, an administrator is free to view any data stored in
Accumulo, and can insert, modify, or delete data at will. To address these
threat vectors, we have developed the Proactively-secure Accumulo with
Cryptographic Enforcement (PACE) library.

The PACE library supports both encrypting and signing records. Encryption is
used to ensure that only users with the appropriate keys (i.e., not the system
administrator) can read the unencrypted context of data stored in Accumulo.
Signatures can be used to provide protection against an administrator
spuriously inserting or modifying records.

The PACE library works as a drop-in replacement for the existing Accumulo
client-API, allowing existing code to be secure with only the change of a few
lines of code. The PACE library can be found at This library can be found at
https://github.com/mit-ll/PACE. All are welcome to use this library or fork the
repository and modify the code for their own use.

At this time, development of PACE at Lincoln Laboratory is complete. In my free
time, I will attempt to address any reported bugs, but I am also interested in
identify Accumulo developers that would like to help maintain this library.
Alternatively, I am willing to turn ownership of this library entirely over to
the Accumulo community.

If you have any questions or comments about PACE, feel free to reach out to me.

Thank you,

Scott Ruoti

—
Dr. Scott Ruoti                             voice:  (781) 981-1551
Technical Staff                             mobile: (801) 300-7013
Secure, Resilient Systems and Technology    e-mail: scott.ru...@ll.mit.edu
Group 53
MIT Lincoln Laboratory