On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 5:45 PM Mike Drob <md...@apache.org> wrote:

> Neat stuff, Scott.
>
> Before we dive in too deeply, how does this differ from the native
> encryption offered inside of Accumulo?

Scott can probably answer more thoroughly, but I can provide a brief answer
to this:

Inside Accumulo, we provide (experimental) support for encrypting RFiles
and WAL files. We also provide RPC encryption via TLS and also Kerberos
(SASL/GSSAPI). These provide encryption-at-rest (in HDFS) and
encryption-in-transit (between nodes). This library supports some
client-side encryption of the data as part of the application's data model.