The current Thrift issue has already been fixed with a patch. Their PMC
needs to release it, though.

Following ASF's commitment to "community over code", I think it would be
inappropriate for an Apache project to fork another active project while
that community still exists. It's better to work with them if we can, and
to use another dependency if we can't. There may be ASF policy against such
forking, but that may only apply to forking non-ASF projects. In any case,
I don't think it's a good idea.

Also, even if we are able to resolve the current issue of releasing a
version without the spammy print statement, I think there's value in
discussing possible alternatives and their pros/cons. There's no timeline
for this. Consider this an open-ended discussion regarding RPC
alternatives. I just want to gather those alternatives into one place to
discuss.