I'm generally a proponent of gRPC for all of the reasons aforementioned,
but it's worth mentioning that it's purely intended for light message
payloads. I admit that I don't have intimate knowledge of the thrift
payloads in Accumulo, but I do know how large <K,V> pairs can be. They
(Google) say if payload sizes are expected to exceed 1MB, an alternate
strategy should be considered.

Here's their blurb on protobuf payloads:
https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/techniques#large-data

Thanks,
Mike