+1 for a trial... because we shouldn't be afraid to experiment with our
workflows. I also like working on GH, and want to see if it will result in
a valuable change or not for Accumulo, and if it is, I'd like to switch to
it at some point (I like the trial first, because I don't know if there
will be unforeseen problems).

Additionally, I think that:
  GH issue tracker could potentially lower the bar to reporting issues
since many devs use GitHub already.
  It would allow integration/exposure via external initiatives, like
Hacktoberfest by using GH labels.
  It could improve readability of commit logs by avoiding lengthy links to
JIRA issue numbers.
  No need to create an issue for the sole purpose of "checking the box" to
have an issue to mention in the log (since PRs are issues).
  It would improve linking between PRs and issues.
  Markdown in GH is much more friendly than JIRA's syntax.
  Reduced mailing list spam from redundant emails and integration with JIRA.
  JIRA is frequently offline for maintenance.

Some potential downsides:
  Lack of multiple milestones for an issue (there are workarounds)
  Lack of batch issue changes
  Change in momentum could be confusing to contributors

I think a trial period could help us understand whether the potential
downsides are worse than the benefits, and whether or not we can develop
workflows that mitigate against those downsides.