Josh, I know you said you didn't have much time, but just in case you get a
moment: do you know why `UserGroupInformation.isLoginKeytabBased()` might
be false on the server side? This seems to be the root cause of the
problems.

https://github.com/apache/accumulo/blob/b0016c3ca36e15ee4bdde727ea5b6a18597de0ff/core/src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/core/rpc/ThriftUtil.java#L383