Thanks Chris.

Yes I do get an error (I can't remember now because it's on a separate
computer) during the init and I get a MagicNumber exception on the datanode
during this process which says something like maybe encryption isn't turned
on.

but let me make sure that the core-default.xml and core-site.xml are on the
classpath.  They may not be.

Thanks again.