Thank you Christopher,

I was able to determine that the ssl settings in core-site.xml are being
picked up and used.   In fact when accumulo init is run, accumulo is able
to create the /accumulo directory in HDFS.    What is weird is that when
the FileSKVWriter that is used when createMetadataFile is called it
throws an exception when close is called.

I get:

org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(java.io.IOException): File
/accumulo/tables/!0/table_info/0_1.rf could only be written to the 0 of the
1 minReplication nodes.  There are 1 datanode(s) running and 1 node(s) are
excluded in this operation.
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockManager.chooseTarget4NewBlock(BlockManager.java:1720)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.getAdditionalBlock(FSNamesystem.java:3389)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeRpcServer.addBlock(NameNodeRpcServer.java:683)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.AuthorizationProviderProxyClientProtocol.addBlock(AuthorizationProviderProxyClientProtocol.java:214)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.addBlock(ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:495)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocol.proto.ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos$ClientNamenodeProtocol$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos.java)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:617)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2217)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2213)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1917)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:2211)

I don't get this error when I disable ssl on hadoop.

Thanks,