I've struggled to get customers to engage in mailing lists -- not just for
Apache Accumulo -- but other open source projects -- so I'm afraid I cannot
share the same opinion on the need for formality -- especially since this
revolves around a security focused feature.

In my personal experience vendors who support projects directly are a bit
more vocal but companies who use a project ( and are generally more focused
on BL) are reluctant to engage -- and, a few in my experience, forbade it
from their vendors until they determined it safe to do so.

With that said I have a customer for whom I cannot speak publicly.  Would
they have an issue if support was removed? *Yes.*

I know others on this list are in the same situation. I will do my best to
coax them into contributing something if they can.

Best of luck gathering feedback.

Thanks,
Marc