Github user franz1981 commented on the issue:

    @michaelandrepearce
    > Im starting to feel like Alice here and were going to end up going into a
rabbit hole ;) and will end up with the original isPaging just being dirty.

    +1 same exact feeling
    Quoting myself twice for @wy96f:
    > LivePageCacheImpl (in violet) is now a major contention point

    and

    > Compaction is stealing lot of cpu and I/O

    Just a thought: we can just choose in what being less stale or not.
    If we return `true` from the dirty read we can just return it, while if we
found the it `false` we could attempt to enter the read lock and validate
that's not paging for real.

---