On 10/26/23 06:12, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
I'd like to move the artemis examples out of the main build+repo and
into a specific repo of their own.

There are a significant number of them, most of which rarely change,
and I think it would be nicer to have them sitting standalone. Having
them in-build somewhat complicates things as they are, and also quite
significantly slows down the release process currently. The repo/build
also tends to be marked for security issues that are only related to
the examples components (obviously we'd still want to update things in
the separate repo, but theyd at least be separate). The nightly
snapshot deploy job takes an age, mostly due to the examples. There is
really no reason we should be deploying them, so I'd also stop doing
that in a shift; I wouldnt actually envisage us releasing the examples
at all. We would set up the CI to continue building them similarly to
as we do now, theyd just sit separately.

Several other projects also use separate repos for their examples,
especially those with many of them. Specific cases I can think of
coming across most regularly are probably the multiple variants of
Camel, and Quarkus. On searching here at the ASF there do appear to be
various other projects that do this too:
https://github.com/orgs/apache/repositories?language=&q=examples&sort=&type=all

Thoughts?

Robbie

+1