Here is my 2c -

I think it is important to try and understand what your users are going to
do with workflow and what kind of language they are used to
(domain-specific, functional, etc). They are processes called user-centered
design processes you can use to do this or do at a minimum an informal
study.

 A couple of years ago, we did an introspection on why all the existing
workflow tools didn't have the uptake we had assumed it would. I have been
part of a half dozen different tools over my career. We have since launched
a project called Tigres - http://tigres.lbl.gov/ where we have learned a
lot due to using a user-centered design approach. We have an IEEE eScience
paper on our initial work - which you might find interesting. I am also
happy to share more details on Tigres and/or the process.

Lavanya