Hello Devs,

I am currently running a sample MPI C program using 'mpiexec' provided by
MPICH. I followed their installation guide
<http://www.mpich.org/static/downloads/3.2/mpich-3.2-installguide.pdf> to
install the libraries on the master and slave nodes of the mesos cluster.

The approach that I am trying out here is that I am equipping the
underlying nodes with MPI handling tools and then use the Mesos framework
like Marathon/ Aurora to submit jobs to run MPI programs by invoking these
tools.

You can potentially run an MPI program using mpiexec in the following
manner:-

# *mpiexec -f machinefile -n 2 ./mpitest*

   - *machinefile *-> File which contains an inventory of machines to run
   the program on and number of processes on each machine.
   - *mpitest *-> MPI program compiled in C using mpicc compiler. The
   program returns the process number and he hostname of the machine running
   the process.
   - *-n *option indicates number of processes that it needs to spawn

Example of machinefile contents:-

# Entries in the format <hostname/IP>:<number of processes>
mesos-slave-1:1
mesos-slave-2:1

The reason for choosing slaves is that Mesos runs the jobs on slaves,
managed by 'agents' pertaining to the slaves.

Output of the program with '-n 1':-

# mpiexec -f machinefile -n 1 ./mpitest
Hello world!  I am process number: 0 on host mesos-slave-1

But when I try for '-n 2', I am hitting the following error:-

# mpiexec -f machinefile -n 2 ./mpitest
[proxy:0:1@mesos-slave-2] HYDU_sock_connect
(/home/centos/mpich-3.2/src/pm/hydra/utils/sock/sock.c:172): unable to
connect from "mesos-slave-2" to "mesos-slave-1" (No route to host)
[proxy:0:1@mesos-slave-2] main
(/home/centos/mpich-3.2/src/pm/hydra/pm/pmiserv/pmip.c:189): *unable to
connect to server mesos-slave-1 at port 44788* (check for firewalls!)

It seems to not allow the program execution due to network traffic being
blocked. I checked security groups in scigap openstack for mesos-slave-1,
mesos-slave-2 nodes and it is set to 'wideopen' policy. Furthermore, I
tried adding explicit rules to the policies to allow all TCP and UDP
(Currently I am not sure what protocol is used underneath), even then it
continues throwing this error.

Any clues, suggestions, comments about the error or approach as a whole
would be helpful.

Thanks and Regards,
Mangirish Wagle