Some thought I have after looking at the proposal from Zhou.

I think this is one of the most important things feature-wise for Airflow.
It looks like we have several in-progress attempts to solve the problem and
I guess we should agree common approach.

I like very much the approach of Zhou (AIP-24). It does seem to minimise
the changes needed in Airflow and it means that we with some optimisations
(caching mentioned by Fokko) - it can solve the major pain points and I
think relatively quick and is potentially portable to 1.10.5 if we have it.

I wonder how much it overlaps/differs from what Kaxil and Ash ideas are. If
I read it correctly - it sounds like this idea will contain some more
"fundamental" changes. Ones that are likely less backwards-compatible, and
potentially taking longer time to implement and test. And likely solving
some of the problems better or even solving other problems. Am I right with
my assumptions?

I think more information on this might be helpful so that we all know if
those are two different AIPs, or whether they can be joined in one effort,
and how they relate to AIP-18/AIP-19 (should those be deprecated or
independently implemented ?). Also - since 2.0.0 release is half a year
ahead we should consider how it impact the roadmap.

I can see three approaches here that we as community can follow (maybe I am
missing some :) ):

1) focus our work on single "complete" solution that will take longer time
and targets 2.0.0.
2) work on two of them: one quick/fast - potentially portable to 1.10.5m
one longer-term for 2.0.0.
3) decide that the simple solution we have from Zhou (maybe with some
modifications) is our target solution (for both 1.10.5 if we have it and
2.0.0):

J.

--

Jarek Potiuk