It shouldn't need something that complex (or to my mind hacky) as in internal
DAG.

The way the scheduler works now it just looks at two columns on the dag (model)
table called I think "next_dagrun_after" (which is the earliest date that the
dag run can be created, and "next execution date" (which is the value to put in
the execution date of the dag run when it's created.

Both these values are set by the dag parser process, which has full access to
run code. What ever interface for defining new schedule expression should run
in the existing process, much like how James C did in a subclass.

Ash