Hi all,

Here are the notes from our Airflow dev call last week. Thank you to all
who joined the call.
Here is a quick summary of the call.

*Summary Notes*:

   - *Add a policy document around all our Policies / rules in the Github
   Repo itself*
      - This should cover any decision we take as PMC / Committers, for
      example:
         - Versioning Policy - Core, Providers and all others
         - Committers have a binding vote on AIP Releases
      - Lazy Consensus thread will be created on the mailing list for each
      decision agreed on the Dev Call
   - *Providers Release Policy*
      - *Batch vs Ad-hoc*:
         - Release Manager would default to release Providers in Batch
         - ad-hoc releases are OK (i.e. if there is a critical bug that
         needs fixing in a single provider)
      - *Frequency:*
         - For Batch release, we will release *every month *(starting of
         the month - 1 to 7 most likely)
         - Just a note that it generally takes around a week for the vote
         to pass even though we have 72 hours minimum period
      - *Testing*
         - License and Signature Checks are mandatory (following the ASF
         rules)
         - For Providers, not all changes require strict testing -- you
         make a judgement based on the changes for a particular provider
         - For Airflow core it is different, smoke tests should be carried
         out and we rely on community testing too (Kaxil to create a separate
         Mailing list thread to discuss this further since there wasn't 100%
         agreement)
      - *Doc-only changes*
         - When we have doc-only changes for Providers (during
         batch-release), we should still release a new version.
Majority on the Dev
         call agreed that releasing docs asap is good instead of waiting for
         the next release with a code-change.
      - *Feedback on AIPs*
      - AIP-39 Richer scheduler_interval

<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/AIP-39+Richer+scheduler_interval>

         - Foreign keys between TaskInstance and DagRun will be changed
         from execution_date and dag_id to dagrun_id.
         - This and any other changes with columns will need migration that
         might be slow for deployments with many Dags and large TIs or
DagRuns in
         Metadata DB.
         - Kevin Yang from Airbnb said that they have tried something
         similar but instead of dagrun_id they used DagRun.id
(auto-incrementing
         id for each DagRun) which had a performance impact.
      - AIP-38 Modern Web Application

<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/AIP-38+Modern+Web+Application>
is
      already being Voted on: link

<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r646c453087fa982e7277823d7b638a238314adbcb361fa93ac1230f6%40%3Cdev.airflow.apache.org%3E>
   - *TaskGroups support in Tree View*
      - We agreed that this would be good to have since we are planning to
      remove SubDags for TaskGroups
      - A separate Mailing list thread has been created for more details
      and further discussion: link

<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r17626aff377aa4914edb8ed3ab9ce17193a8d1615e7388c77db76b4d%40%3Cdev.airflow.apache.org%3E>

Notes are also posted on Confluence too:
*Doc Link*:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Airflow+Dev+Calls

Best regards,
Kaxil