This is a very good point :) and has surprising (at least to me) answer:

We have two mechanisms now:

* Labels by Boring Cyborg (not very helpful as you cannot selectively
subscribe to a label):
https://github.com/apache/airflow/blob/main/.github/boring-cyborg.yml

* CODEOWNERS feature (this one is precisely what you want, because you are
marked as reviewer and notified as CODEOWNER):
https://github.com/apache/airflow/blob/main/.github/CODEOWNERS

The problem with CODEOWNERS is (or rather was(!) ) that you could only add
maintainers as CODEOWNERS. Up until recently the CODEOWNER documentation
stated this:

> The people you choose as code owners must have write permissions for the
repository. When the code owner is a team, that team must have write
permissions, even if all the individual members of the team already have
write permissions directly, through organization membership, or through
another team membership.

However it seems that GitHub silently changed it :) and now it's a bit
different:

> Users must have *read* access to the repository and teams must have
explicit write access, even if the team’s members already have access. You
can also refer to a user by an email address that has been added to their
account on GitHub.com, for example u...@example.com.

So - seems you can become a CODEOWNER even if you are not a maintainer!!!!
YAY!. Something we really wanted to add for providers for a long time!
I think you can achieve PRECISELY what you want - just make a PR to
CODEOWNERS and add yourself to all Google Provider paths and we can test it.

J.