I understand the frustration with the SLA feature as it stands.
I struggled with trying to understand this early on and finally understood
how they were broken.

Having said that, I believe that Airflow users strongly care about the
timeliness and consequently SLAs of their data. I also believe that these
need to be redefined on top of Datasets in AIP-48 (as Ash mentioned
earlier).

In summary, my view is that this needs to be redefined and fixed in
Airflow, rather than entirely removed from Airflow.
Having said that, I also believe that people will want to build advanced
SLA capabilities on top of Airflow, but that's completely reasonable in my
book.