Hey folks,

Those of us on the AWS Airflow team (myself, Dennis F, Vincent B, Seyed H) have
been working on a few projects over the past few months:

1. Writing example dags/docs for all existing Operators in the AWS Airflow
provider package (done)

2. Writing AWS specific logic in Airflow codebase to support AIP-47 (done)

3. Converting all example dags to AIP-47 compliant system tests (just over
halfway done)

All of these are ultimately culminating to the goal of us running these system
tests at a regular cadence within Amazon (where we have access to funded AWS
accounts). We will run these system tests, triggered by updates to
airflow:main, at least once a day.

I'd like to open a discussion on how we can vend these results back to the
community in a way that is most consumable for contributors, release managers
and users alike.

A quick and easy approach would be to create a publicly viewable CloudWatch
Dashboard. With at least the following metrics for each system test over time:
pass/fail, duration, and execution count.
This would be a human readable way to consume the current status of AWS
Operators.

If a more machine readable format is required/preferred (e.g. for scripts
related to Airflow release management perhaps) we could also put together a
simple API Gateway endpoint that would vend the data in a format such as JSON.

Another interesting option would be for us to publish the CloudFormation
templates (or the codebase used to generate the templates) for configuring the
system test environment and executing the tests. This could be deployed to an
AWS account owned and managed by the Airflow community where tests would be run
periodically. AWS has provided some credits in the past which could be used to
help fund the account. But this introduces a large component that would need
ownership and management by folks within the Airflow community who have access
to such AWS accounts and credits (likely only committers/release managers?). So
it might not be worth the complexity.

I'd like to hear what folks think!

Cheers,
Niko