Similarly, it's been a while since I touched the backfill code -- my last
commit was more than 2 years ago apparently!! -- so it's certainly
progressed considerably from my early changes. However, to echo Bolke, the
biggest issue with Backfill was that it behaved differently than the
scheduler, which was especially problematic because it was actually used by
the scheduler to run SubDagOperators. And I agree, the behavior you're
seeing probably was a consequence of introducing DagRuns as a unifying
concept.

So if an "automaticly clear failed operators" option is desirable (as in
the PR), then I would suggest making it an option that is False by default.
That way SubDagOperators will continue to operate properly in the
scheduler, but users who want to take advantage of that functionality can
simply enable it for manual backfills.