release Thanks for the info John. I think I am getting there, but not
completely....

So, here's what I've done:
- added service, bounced Ambari server

- curl to http://vmhost05-hbase3.bdva.wandisco.com:8080/api/v1/stacks/HDP/ says
that I have new stack
    {
      "href" :
"http://vmhost05-hbase3.bdva.wandisco.com:8080/api/v1/stacks/HDP/versions/2.1.WANdisco";,
      "Versions" : {
        "stack_name" : "HDP",
        "stack_version" : "2.1.WANdisco"
      }
    }

- ran update
  curl -u admin:admin -i -X PUT -H  'X-Requested-By: ambari' -d
'{"Clusters":{"version":"HDP-2.1.WANdisco"}}'
http://vmhost05-hbase3.bdva.wandisco.com:8080/api/v1/clusters/DC-2

The result was:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Set-Cookie: AMBARISESSIONID=vueucwdh8p6mkmcygj803vi9;Path=/
Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Server: Jetty(7.6.7.v20120910)

However, running
        curl -u admin:admin
http://vmhost05-hbase3.bdva.wandisco.com:8080/api/v1/clusters/

Still gives me this....
{
  "href" : "http://vmhost05-hbase3.bdva.wandisco.com:8080/api/v1/clusters/";,
  "items" : [
    {
      "href" :
"http://vmhost05-hbase3.bdva.wandisco.com:8080/api/v1/clusters/DC-2";,
      "Clusters" : {
        "cluster_name" : "DC-2",
        "version" : "HDP-2.1"
      }
    }
  ]

Any ideas/hints? Thank you very much for your help!
  Cos