----- Original Message -----
From: "Conor MacNeill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ant Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 14:26
Subject: Re: java 1.1 on linux

> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 05:17 am, Costin Manolache wrote:
> >
> > Ok - last week we had a proposal, discussions on ant-user and ant-dev,
and
> > apparently an almost general consensus.
> >
> > What's next ? Should we wait a bit more before making it official by a
> > [VOTE], or just forget the whole thing ?
> >

> I will propose a vote tonight. I think we are clear that a move to a 1.2
based
> codebase is desirable. Moving to 1.3 or 1.4 is not yet needed as the
features
> we would make use of are in 1.2

There was nobody begging on the mail list for retention of 1.1 support;
indeed, the discussion drifted into Java1.4 vs 1.3, which was the direction
I hadnt expected (but am pleasantly surprised).

> What is less clear to me is whether 1.5 branch should be the last 1.1
codebase
> or whether it should be 1.6. My preference would be to make it 1.5 since
> somethings we need to do (i.e. lcp.bat replacement) are best done with a
> URLClassLoader. 1.6 is still a ways off and if we designate it the last
1.1
> release nothing will change for quite a while.

You'll have my vote.

> I'd like to settle this last aspect before we release 1.5.3 which I think
we
> need to release real soon now.

+1. If we vote to move 1.6 up to 1.1, then we can pre-announce the fact in
1.5.3. And organise a global day of celebration, the 'ant moves to java1.2'
day that will be rememered in postage stamps and obscure currencies for the
next four centuries.