A common usage of xslt is to postprocess xml results for documentation, like in junit, jdepend, etc. The problem is that AFAIK the xslt task needs a file, not an URL, and hence not a jar resource.

All tasks that resolve files IIUC call

  public File resolveFile(File file, String filename)

in FileUtils.java [1]

Again IIUC and AFAIK it could be quite easy to extend this method to use a url to get the "File". In this way we could use any file fotten from a URL, and still maintain backward compatibility.

In the future we could even make it optional to use COmmons VFS for it and have that resolve the URLs and give the streams.

Thoughts?

[1] http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/util/FileUtils.java?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

            - verba volant, scripta manent -