Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 04/04/2003 17.21:
On Fri, 04 Apr 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

What I mean is not to change the passing of a File object.  I mean
that we can *wrap* an URL in a File. So we pass a File, and use an
URL, getting a Virtual File System.

How so - put the URI into the name and abuse File as a String? I'd really like to understand that.

We are talking about java.io.File here 8-)

Sure. Look at the JDK 1.4 version, it has this constructor:

  public File(URI uri)

Why? Because a URI can be navigated, and it's possible to make a File from a URI.

We could do:

 org.apache.tools.vfs.File extends java.io.File

and make

  public File(String URI)

that also can accept a URI to create itself.

Look at all the methods of java.io.File: if I gave you just an url in the constructor, you could write almost, if not all, those methods.

So, if we make the method in the utils return a File that is in reality a org.apache.tools.vfs.File but still used as a File, we could make all tasks that use a file be able to accept an url.

    url string
 -> in utils it's made into a org.apache.tools.vfs.File
 -> it's given as a java.io.File
 -> it's used as a java.io.File, but the methods inside use the "VFS"

Am I really missing the obvious? Could as well be.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -