OK, I clearly misunderstood <presetdef>... But then, you can also write:

<macrodef name="conditiondef">
  <typedef restrict="org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.conditions.Condition"/>
</macrodef>

and still do,

<conditiondef name="or"
              classname="org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.conditions.Or"/>

Can't you? So what's exactly the difference between <presetdef> and
<macrodef>??? I still don't get it I'm afraid...

> > A middle ground would be to have something like this, closer to your
> > current design:
> >
> >   <bind-attributes>
> >     <delete quiet="true" />
> >     <javac debug="${debug}" deprecation="${deprecation}" />
> >     <exec failonerror="true" />
> >   </bind-attributes>
> >
> > So it yields no task rename, work for any valid tasks, and is more
> > explicit.
>
> True but not easy to implement (I think, although.....) and does
> something different to <presetdef/>.

I thought it was the goal of <presetdef>, but I was wrong of course.

> > > <macrodef>
> > >       </compile-exec>
> >
> > <macrodef> I have much less problem with, but I concur with others that
> > overloading the behavior of ${name} is not good. This will be confusing
> > to me and other users that property expansion will not happen as usual
> > at definition time, but later on.
>
> All of the expansions happen later on.  If the macro is used in a
> different project to the project it is defined in, the properties
> in use will be of the project that the macro is used in*.

Which is exactly why I don't like using the same syntax, which until now
*always* expanded as if at the place of definition/use!!!

> However, I can see
> that there can be issues with using the same notation for the macro
> expansion of attributes and then normal expansion of properties.

So we're you planning on refusing 'normal' property expansion in <macrodef>?
If two different syntax are used, it's obvious what's what.

> I am loath however to adding new rules for indicating variables.
> However if ant people want a different encoded for the macro variables,
> I would have no objection.

OK, let's see:
1) Introduce a new syntax (@name) for a new feature,
   thus keeping the existing syntax ${name} its only behavior
2) Overloading the existing ${name} syntax to behave differently
   in <macrodef>

It's a no brainer to me. I clearly vote for (1).

> > Another advantage of the second form is that one would not need to
> > pre-declare the macro params (making it scripting-language-like), but on
> > the other hand, pre-declaring makes it more explicitly when reading the
> > macro what parameters it takes. If we force pre-declaration, we can then
> > fail on dereference to non-declared macro-param.
>
> Yes, The current code does these checks.

So how do you distinguish between regular properties dereference and
<macrodef> attribute dereference again?

> > Should param be renamed attribute? <macrodef>, from the build writer
> > point of view, creates a new tasks, and we always speak of attributes
> > and nested elements, not params and nesting elements.
>
> I picked param, as some other tasks use param (foreach*,
> antcall) for something similar.

No, it's not something similar IMHO! You are implicitly creating a new task
at runtime, whereas <foreach> and <antcall> are tasks that use parameters
during their runtime. It's two different things, and again the meaning
should not be overloaded.

Please consider using <attribute> instead of <param>, re-enforcing this idea
that <macrodef> create a new task, as the same time that (@name)
re-enforcement the fact that it's not a regular property dereference.

Thanks, --D