I stopped arguing this point, as I was the only one concerned apparently,
but since Jose Alberto brings it up again...

Having ${NAME} not evaluate to the value, if any, of the NAME property, at
the time the task it's used in (<macrodef> is this case) is executed, is
REALLY REALLY BAD in my sincere opinion. Maybe <foreach> does it, but that
doesn't make it any better. Properties should *always* be evaluated at the
place where they are defined.

If I'm not mistaken, and ${NAME} is evaluated as the time the defined Macro
is used, rather than defined, then is becomes some kind of implicit
attribute of that Macro, and it's much better to explicitly define it as an
attribute.

OTOH, if it behaves 'normally', as in what Ant does today, it is simply a
way to customize the way the macro itself (its implementation if you will).

It seems that so far, my point has either not been well understood, or
dismissed (which is troubling to me, given the huge confusion that would
result IMHO). --DD