I am compiling the same src directory every time, but with different patterns.

Javac uses the FileSet in MatchingTask. I currently have a hack into MatchingTask adding
public void putNewFileSet(FileSet set) {
fileset = set;
}
because I am not sure how to change out the FileSet of patterns. Above works for me, but is there an easier way ***without changing the ant base*** to get what I want.

Your last statement is exactly my intention.
thanks,
dean