>     Can I suggest trying something new possibly?  ant-contrib
> might be a
> good idea, but is it possible to have the ant manual contain(ant
> repository still would NOT contain the jars such as
> ant-contrib, just docs)
> 1.  Core Tasks
> 2.  Optional Tasks
> 3.  External Self-Contained Tasks
> 4.  External Tasks
> Then, people who write tasks can put the task in ant-contrib and post
> the documentation to ant, so at least it can get some visibility.
> People could also include download links to the jars from the
> manual, to
> download the additional things needed.  I think this would be very
> useful.

I donīt think that is a good idea. There are so many different projects
with their tasks (and their own doc-style). Therefore you have
- multiple styles
- very often changes

But do you know the "External Tools and Tasks" page on the homepage?
http://ant.apache.org/external.html

>     I have one more suggestion.  Ant contrib was saying I
> have to change
> the build file.  It would be really nice if the only thing we
> had to do
> was drop in the ant-contrib jar in the lib directory of ant, and ant
> used a different classloader to read out of unknown jars to check the
> tasks.properties file, and if there was one automatically add
> the tasks
> without changes to the build file.  I don't think it's that
> hard to do.
> Search lib directory for jars not called ant.jar and
> optional.jar, and
> then load that jar in a different class loader just to get the
> properties file and read it in to get all the tasks.  What do
> you think?

We (or more "the other" :-) are working on something called "ant libs"
(or something similiar). I think that should do that job.

Jan