Stefan Bodewig wrote:
Currently a build.xml with

<project>
  <import file="build.xml"/>
</project>

will print a warning "Skipped already imported file build.xml" and end
as a successful build after executing the import once.

Correct.

I feel this is wrong for two reasons:

(1) The current build file (the one intially loaded) should be added
to the list of already imported files implicitly so it doesn't get
loaded twice at all.

(2) circular imports look like a bug to me - the build should fail.

This is the only possible issue. The decision on this point will automatically define number 1.

I understand that unrelated imports should be handled gracefully,
i.e. if A imports B and C and B and C both import D, this is OK.  But
a circular import is different from that to me.

As it stands now, there is no such concept as circular imports. You have circularity when things gets nested, but in this case there is no nesting.

What happens is that if at least one of the buildfiles asks to import a file, that file is added to the list, and other requests are ignored.

So the current behaviour is correct given the actual -flat- import rules.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -