> From: peter reilly [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> On Thursday 23 October 2003 13:44, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Jose Alberto Fernandez
> >

> This is my point. The <local> should be visible for both or for none.
>

> > You have a compelling example here
> >
> > >  <macrodef name="m">
> > >   <echo>${p}</echo>
> > >   <if>
> > >     <equals arg1="${p}" arg2="my local p"/>
> > >     <then>
> > >           <antcall target="tm"/>
> > >     </then>
> > >   </if>
> > >  </macrodef>
> > >
> > >  <target name="x">
> > >    <local name="p" value="my local p">
> > >      <m/>
> > >    </local>
> > >  </target>
> > >
> > >  <target name="tm">
> > >   <echo>${p}</echo>
> > >  </target>
> > >
> > >  <property name="p" value="my global p"/>
> > >
> > >  [echo] my local p
> > >  [echo] my global p
> >
> > and I currently don't have an answer for this.
> If <m/> and <antcall> do not make local p visible,
> then one simply gets:
>
> x:
>      [echo] my global p

Notice that following this path (not making locals visible) means
that <macrodef> defined tasks will behave differently than java written
tasks, more over it means that macrodef is not really the same as having
the code in place. Ex:

<macrodef name="m">
  <echo>${a}</echo>
</macrodef>

<property name="a" value="G"/>

<target name="x">
  <local name="a" value="L"/>
  <echo>${a}</echo>
</target>

<target name="y">
  <local name="a" value="L"/>
  <m/>
</target>

Targets x and y are suppose to do the same thing, at least
that is what a "macro" is supposed to do. But here the behavior
changes in unexpected ways depending on whether "a" is local or global.

If I had written <m/> in java, I would see the local value, but since
I wrote it using <macrodef/> that is not the same. So I can forget
about writing new tasks by just composing existing tasks toguether. :-(