> Maybe it is possible to revive this vfs project. Other people sending
> emails to the list have mentioned the slide project
> and also the new http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=170 Java Content
> Repository API proposal.
> I have had a look at the JCR web page. I think that there is some
> overlap between VFS and JCR, but it is not the same.

> I have the impression that JCR is meant for data storages which have
> versioning capabilities. It sounds like the equivalent of JDBC for
> version control systems, a common API through which one could access
> CVS, Perforce, PVCS, Source Safe, Subversion,
> but I do not feel like JCR is meant for accessing physical storages
> which do not have versioning capabilities such as file systems or
> jar/zip files.

Based on the information given on the JSR170 project page, one indeed gets the
impression that the API is soley designed for content repositories.
However, the expert group has divided up the API into two levels:
There's a main package and some subpackages named query, version, observation,
access, a.s.o...
A level 1 implementation is only required to implement the core JCR classes
and none of the classes in the subpackages. Therefore, simple data repositories
like filesystems can be used with JSR.
Level 2 implementations, like CMS systems must implement the subpackages as
well..

greetings
Sascha

Alexander (Sascha) Coenen
Software Consultant
Information Systems
____________________________________
AIRBUS
Spares Support and Services

PHONE +49 (0)40 5076 2316
FAX +49 (0)40 59 25 46
E-MAIL [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WEB SITE http://spares.airbus.com

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain
privileged information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy,
distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it. If you have
received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Security Notice: all e-mail, sent to or from this address, may be
accessed by someone other than the recipient, for system management and
security reasons. This access is controlled under Regulation of
Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practises.