Hi,
concerning point 4, the virtual file system, I'd like to ask a question:

>> Very long term, if we were to get something really good, it might be
>> possible to change the axiom saying "Ant only builds based on JDK + XML
>> parser" to "Ant builds with JDK + XML Parser + VFS API".

Why not make it: JDK + XML Parser + JCR API ?

The Java Content Repository API is soon to be moved into Public Review Phase. I
like it because it is standardized and offers a 2-level driver support. Usual
filesystems only need to comply to level1 of the spec and fullblown CMS-like
content-repositories can implement level2 of the spec which adds versioning
a.s.o.
I would imagine that the JCR API will eventually have the biggest industry
support, as it is a standard JSR. Naturally, there will be a variety of drivers
available for this API, probably more than for the VFS API.

However, I have no expert knowledge on JCR and VFS, but I'm curious to hear
whether you consider JCR a viable option. To me it seems that JCR and VFS are
very similar in scope.

greetings
Sascha

Alexander (Sascha) Coenen
Software Consultant
Information Systems
____________________________________
AIRBUS
Spares Support and Services

PHONE +49 (0)40 5076 2316
FAX +49 (0)40 59 25 46
E-MAIL [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WEB SITE http://spares.airbus.com

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain
privileged information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy,
distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it. If you have
received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Security Notice: all e-mail, sent to or from this address, may be
accessed by someone other than the recipient, for system management and
security reasons. This access is controlled under Regulation of
Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practises.