Well, we could always offer using the "id" way as an alternative.
And if it picks up, deprecate the other one in ANT 2.0 (2.0 get it :-) )

In any case, I am not sure how to do it. Does anyone has an idea?
We could write an experimental <inherit/> task with the diferent
behaviour to explore.

Jose Alberto