Stefan Bodewig wrote:

Hi,

it's my strong belief that part of the reason the javah and move bugs
made it into 1.6.3 is that our branches are living too long.  The same
happened to 1.5.2 (which required 1.5.3 quickly) because the 1.5
branch lived to long (IMHO).

In my day-to-day Ant usage I use CVS HEAD, all the time, exclusively.
Sometimes I merge changes into the 1.6 branch without merging the unit
tests as well.  Sometimes I don't merge changes at all.  Sometimes I
forget to pull a change from the branch when it has been pulled from
HEAD ...

If I read this correctly, you're saying that the number of bugs increases when there's a long period of time between branches, mainly because it's difficult to test the branch properly as most (if not all) of the committers use HEAD. (sorry if that's pretty obvious, but I want to be sure of what you're saying). It'd be interesting to see if other open source projects experience the same situation.

Based on this...

+1 (my not quite 2p's worth)

I bet, other committers have similar experiences.

It's not enough to say users don't beta-test our releases, in all
honesty, after X.Y.1 or maybe X.Y.2 we don't even alpha-test them
sufficiently ourselves.

Rather we are busy testing the HEAD instead.

This leads me to the subject of this vote.  Let's get rid of the
branch, stabelize CVS HEAD and release 1.7.0-beta in a reasonable
time-frame.

Cheers

       Stefan

PS: I also intend to start a vote that branches shouldn't live as long
as the 1.5 and 1.6 branches did but we do new releases from HEAD more
quickly.  This will wait until this vote has been decided.
Been busy and 1.6.4 - 1.6.5 was a big shock, I remember the vote for 1.6.3 (last week wasn't it!) ;)

Kev