Wolfgang Häfelinger wrote:
My preference is to improve Ant's API.

I would like to see Ant evolving in such a way allowing me to implement a framework like Maven on top of it.

So, the question is "can Ant evolve into a good Java API?"

I have no doubt that it can be done, we just need to focus on
it.

However, why does it need to be a Java API? Let's just talk
about a good API and treat Java as an implementation detail.

I think it would be pretty cool to implement tasks (i.e. macros
with a "native" implementation)  in  other languages as well (I
would love to see Python supported).

<scriptdef> lets you do this inline, though python's space rules make the resulting XML files look a bit messy.