On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:24 AM, Xavier Hanin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I think we at least need to avoid having the same inconsistencies in names
> from the beginning. Having clear rules for module names and orgs (like
> following the package name convention) is the only way to avoid the
> problems
> you have when you search the maven repo for a module and end up with what
> seem to be the good answer with different organizations, and different
> versions. If we mimic maven2 repo, I see no added value. Obviously, doing
> this kind of work takes time...

I completely agree. An important goal of the RoundUp project is to establish
clear guidelines for package naming, configurations, dependencies, etc.

This is the work that individuals like me struggle with when creating their
own private repositories (we have no choice, because there's currently no
public repository for Ivy users). It makes much more sense for there to be a
shared, community repository where all Ivy users can come together and share
this "meta-data engineering" work. This is the whole point of RoundUp.

> I'm already quite lost with the modules, which demonstrate the need to
> clean
> the names before doing the import. I see commons modules in their own
> organization (exactly as in maven2 repo) and commons-email in
> org.apache.commons organization (which makes better sense to me). This
> once
> again shows the difficulty to do something really better than maven2 repo.

I'm lost too! I was just following the maven2 repo, which clearly shows how
not to organize naming. I do not want to continue on that track. We need to
rethink naming and get it right from the start.

The point of the modules that are in there already was just to have
something to test the resolver against. I'm intending that they will be
cleaned up once we have established some guidelines.

The key point here is to get that discussion going.. I've already started a
wiki
page<http://code.google.com/p/ivyroundup/wiki/ModuleMaintainerGuidelines>that
needs a lot more detail, please add to it... you are much more of an
expert than me.

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs