It doesn't require a rewrite, but a rewrite could simplify integrating a usecase like this as well as integrating other features that we already have into it and making them simpler and unified inthe code. I agree the usecase is an excellent one which could simplify the lives of exactly the type of users I am talking about.

It sounds like you are suggesting that the dependency tree be extensible and modifiable, perhaps manipulable, within targets as well so long as that part of the tree hasn't run yet. In a sense that is what macros do because they allow you to swap in some static block of tasks to replace a single task. There is also the feature from EasyAnt for changing target dependencies. But what I'm hearing is that you want more flexibility than that.

Something to walk the existing dependency tree, perhaps, with conditional behaviors to modify the metadata on existing element such as dependencies and if/unless, replacing the element with another or a subtree (perhaps itself dynamically walked and created), adding branches, perhaps deleting elements or subtrees. Kind of like what we can do with a tree of files and directories already. Does that sound like what the design you'd like to see would have?

And perhaps it could encompass providing both the macro and target dependency changes to the tree as well, along with any other code we have that alters the dependency tree. I'm not sure which of the various ways to call back into Ant do this. I'm sure there are other examples in the codebase.

I'm not familiar enough with this part of the code any more to know whether there is already a single elegant solution in Ant 1 that all the code which modifies the dependency tree shares, but given our BC requirements I doubt it.

One example of a FileSystemProvider that Java 7 suggests in its API docs is a "memory" file system, one identified by the URL "memory://". Perhaps our dependency tree could be a kind of file system, then we could reuse vast swathes of code we already have, both in the standard class libraries and in Ant itself. Just an idea off the top of my head.