This too I find a great idea. Multicores mean we need more ways of exploiting parallelism, particularly if they can be identified automatically by the application.

For backward compatibility it would have to be optional, though, either specified on the command line or at the build file level or using a different kind of target tag. Of course, the additional information you suggest on targets would make that the case anyway, but in some cases I think we might be able to automate it based just on what we have if the build system is written properly so that dependencies on targets that provide needed resources are explicitly identified.

Too many build systems in my experience rely on the order the dependencies are resolved on a higher order target rather than explicitly identifying dependencies on the targets that they are required on. This despite the fact that we have some language somewhere that you can't rely on the order of resolution of the dependencies. Sometimes that has proved a requirement to avoid targets that depended on each other, but I've seen it used as a shortcut instead far too often.

Creating Ant clusters is also a great idea, at least to plan for. Perhaps something like Zookeeper to coordinate builds and a message bus like ActiveMQ or perhaps better QPid to schedule and report back to other nodes on the results.

The idea of turning the dependency tree into a state machine is also interesting. It would combine the tree and the resolving of the tree with execution of tasks into a single entity. I worry, though, that some flexibility in our current system might be lost if the two portions are combined into one. Perhaps not. It could also introduce the possibility of cycles. Currently the dependency tree gets executed as a DAG but there have been a lot of requests for looping which a state machine could more easily support.