Hello Maarten,

I do not know a lot about git either.

Here are the advantages I see in migrating to git :

- git allows third-parties to clone an original repository and in fact to
create a fork while keeping the possibility of contributing back what they have
created if they want to, and also importantly to incorporate inside their
branches changes done elsewhere including in the reference repository. So I see
git as having the same strategic importance for the source code like the fact
of uploading the ant jars to maven central is for the use of the binaries.

- for the developers of the Apache project - us - the small advantages are to
be able to commit stuff locally on our computers before pushing when we are
happy with our changes. Also one can switch branch very quickly within the same
workspace when using git, this might be an advantage.

- because of the popularity of git I imagine that the change is good for the
long run but this is speculation

I imagine that some corporations, individuals,or other open source
organizations will take advantage of our projects moving to git to create these
forks, either because the contribution process via JIRA is too slow, or because
they want to create proprietary enhancements, or because they are not sure that
the changes that they do match the views /plans... of our the
Ant/Ivy/Ivyde/Easyant Apache project.

Regards,

Antoine