Hi,

I like xooki because it manages well the templating of the web pages, and it
manage well how to build a toc. I hate when documentation is not « browsable »,
like in a wiki, and xooki handle it well.

But is is quite slow, generating Ivy’s documentation can takes minutes.
And on macos jrunscript is considered as a graphical app, so it get the focus.
Launching it repeatedly makes the Mac unusable because every few second there
is a new jrunscript app getting the focus.
And the only web browser in which you can do inline editing is Firefox. It is a
good web browser but unfortunately it is not my default one.

Manually rewriting the entire doc in another template engine is out the
question. And I don’t want to lose the automatic build of the toc.

So, as a defi, I wondered if I could make xooki.js generate something in a
template language rather than .html, and still generate that toc.

I don’t know much any template language, even Markdown. On paper, asciidoc
looks better to me, and some Linus recommends it, so let’s try it so I can have
a little experience with it.

A few hours of hacking later, doing dirty code in js, using Asciidoctor, coming
down to write some Ruby (oh my!), I have something working. Hence my last
commit in a dedicated branch in Ivy: xooki2asciidoc

You can test it. To generate the asciidoc files:
ant -f build-doc.xml generate-asciidoc
To generate the html files from the asciidoc files (in few seconds!):
ant -f build-doc.xml generate-doc
And open build/doc/index.html to see the result

This is a proof of concept, the conversion of the html tags barely works, but
the toc is functional.

So what do you think ? Would you consider changing of template language ? If so
would it be asciidoc ?

Is there any objection ? I spent some time on it for fun (and passing time
because of some quite late trains), I won’t mind if this is thrown away; but I
would like to know if there are some so I won’t continue it.

Nicolas