Hi Stefan,

On 25/07/2016 16:08, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
Hi all

some feedback from working on Apache Ant.

On 2016-07-22, Rory O'Donnell wrote:

Early Access b127 <https://jdk9.java.net/jigsaw/> (#5304) for JDK 9
with Project Jigsaw is available on java.net, summary of changes are
listed here
<http://download.java.net/java/jigsaw/archive/127/binaries/jdk-9+127.html>
thanks to Felix Yang's bug reports I've already fixed problems with
Ant's native2ascii and rmic tasks.

For <rmic> Ant was invoking sun.rmi.rmic.Main internally and this class
is no longer exported (and inside a module Ant wouldn't import
anyway). I'm a little bit worried that com.sun.tools.javac.Main used in
<javac> and com.sun.tools.javah.oldjavah.Main used in <javah> may
"disappear" in similar ways (or already have).

[aside: removing native2ascii from the JDK as people could use ther
build tools which in turn use the JDK tool still strikes me as a curious
move]

I can successfully bootstrap Ant's master branch with the latest jigsaw
build and am down to three families of errors:

* rmic -Xnew doesn't work and fails with a strange error message. I know
   I've reported this before:

   rmic -vcompat -Xnew SomeClass

   results in

   ,----
   | rmic: error - In doclet class sun.rmi.rmic.newrmic.Main,  method
   | optionLength not accessible
   | 1 error
   `----

   I think I've been told -Xnew had been removed before (and if so we
   need to adapt Ant), but there should be a better error message.

* some of the JAI tests fail, but I haven't had the time to really look
   into them, yet. JAI is not an area I felt confident in jumping in.

* Something has changed WRT date time parsing. Many of the <touch>
   invocations we use inside our tests fail (on my German locale system,
   in case this matters).

   We use

   DateFormat.getDateTimeInstance(DateFormat.SHORT, DateFormat.SHORT, Locale.US)

   and receive

   ,----
   | java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "06/24/2003 2:20 pm"
   | at java.text.DateFormat.parse(java.base@9-ea/DateFormat.java:366)
   `----

   The same string is parsed without any problems on Java8 and earlier.
Can you log bugs for the above items and let us have the Incident IDs, we will follow up ?

Rgds,Rory

Cheers

Rgds,Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager